In the United States, around 40 million people aged 18 and above deal with anxiety disorders. In Louisiana, 715,000 adults carry a mental health condition, which is three times the population of Baton Rouge. These numbers show that anxiety is indeed the most frequent condition, and patients need the best help possible.
On a positive note, MMJ for patients with anxiety in Baton Rouge is available to help manage the mental health condition and its corresponding symptoms.
To understand the various types of anxiety disorders and the benefits of medical marijuana for anxiety patients in Baton Rouge, read more below.
- 1 Understanding the Different Types of Anxiety Disorders
- 2 Can Marijuana Help with Mental Health Conditions?
- 3 Benefits of Medical Cannabis for Anxiety Patients in Baton Rouge
- 4 Medical Marijuana as Another Method for Treating Anxiety
- 5 The Bottom Line
Understanding the Different Types of Anxiety Disorders
While feeling anxious occasionally is normal, you will experience extreme fear and worry, sleeping difficulties, tiredness and even an increased heart rate if you have an anxiety disorder.
The five main types of anxiety disorders include the following:
● General anxiety disorder: With GAD, you will feel chronic anxiety even with no particular triggers.
● Social anxiety disorder: If you have a social anxiety disorder, you feel intense fear of humiliation and criticism in daily social situations. You become so self-conscious that you dread eating, drinking or mingling with other people.
● Obsessive-compulsive disorder: If you have OCD, you attempt to ease your anxiety by performing specific rituals, like cleaning, hand washing and counting. However, these behaviors only offer temporary relief.
● Post-traumatic stress disorder: You’re more likely to have PTSD if you experience a highly traumatic event, such as military combat, personal assault or an accident.
● Panic disorder: This involves repeated and unexpected episodes of excessive fear. Then, you experience dizziness, breathing problems, chest pain and palpitations.
Can Marijuana Help with Mental Health Conditions?
Medical marijuana is becoming a popular option for helping manage different conditions, including mental health. Studies conducted by Marijuana Investigations for Neuroscientific Discovery on patients using medical cannabis revealed that they experienced fewer anxiety-related symptoms and had higher cognitive performance.
Moreover, a 2017 study highlighted that cannabis can effectively relieve pain, lower chances of dependence and substitute opioid-based medications for pain. Thus, lethal overdoses, life-threatening respiratory problems and addiction can be avoided from long-term opioid use.
Then, case studies suggest the potential benefits of medical marijuana for enhancing sleep. Those experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD have also reported reduced anxiety-related symptoms following the use of medical cannabis.
Moreover, cannabinoids or compounds from cannabis plants are seen as useful in managing generalized anxiety disorders, panic disorders and obsessive-compulsive disorders.
Given the promising effects of marijuana on mental health, several doctors recommend the use of medical cannabis for helping address mental disorders.
Benefits of Medical Cannabis for Anxiety Patients in Baton Rouge
MMJ for patients with anxiety in Baton Rouge offers several potential benefits. For example, in a study published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, medical marijuana patients reported that they experienced a 58% reduction in anxiety and depression.
One of the symptoms of anxiety is insomnia wherein you find it difficult to fall or stay asleep.
A 2021 study showed that medical marijuana can help relieve insomnia symptoms. It can also facilitate relaxation and calmness. As a result, you get better sleep quality.
Medical Marijuana as Another Method for Treating Anxiety
Typically, different pharmacological medications are utilized in helping reduce anxiety symptoms. Buspirone, sedatives and other drugs may also be prescribed depending on your need and condition. Antidepressants are taken to reduce your anxiety levels.
However, these come with several side effects like dizziness, fatigue, dry mouth, nausea and weight gain.
Meanwhile, medical marijuana is a safe option for helping relieve anxiety. As a qualifying patient with anxiety, you can apply for a medical marijuana card to help ease your anxiety.
The Bottom Line
MMJ for patients with anxiety in Baton Rouge offers multiple promising benefits, like enhancing sleep quality, promoting relaxation and reducing other symptoms of anxiety.
With a proper recommendation from certified doctors, you can maximize the benefits of cannabis. To find out more about medical marijuana use for anxiety, contact TeleLeaf today.